Sinharaja Rustic Lodge
SINHARAJA RAINFOREST | RATNAPURA | SRI LANKA
10 minutes from Sinharaja Rainforest entrance. 2 hours from Bentota.
An Eco-friendly rustic stylish, high above the beautiful rolling hills of Waddagala and the Sinharaja forest reserve. The lodge is gifted by one of the most restful views in Sri Lanka - and accord with nature is the essence of its appeal. This is a remote, pollution-free surrounding without discomforts. From this attractive property - a triumph of designer-rustic, you can gaze upon rolling tea plantations, studded with occasional tea bungalows and factories, some now disused, some still in operation. Here you have the chance to enjoy the hospitality of Sinharaja villagers in a beautiful natural setting. The place follows strict environmentally friendly policies of using organic methods of farming, recycling of water and waste materials, and the use of solar energy. A brave effort is also made to improve the benefits to the surrounding village community including employment of staff from the area and providing them with skills development opportunities.
The property has seven artistically planned rooms, including one family room. All rooms come with a comfortable double bed, boost pillows and mattress where you can take a book, fix your eyes on upon the tea slopes beyond and enjoy the sounds of the birds.
Bedrooms are modestly sized, yet attractive and half-open bathrooms have modern facilities.
Rooms and bathrooms have painted concrete floors. Rooms have tea/coffee making facilities.
FOOD & AMENITIES
The centre piece of this small development is an attractive natural-water pool, surrounded by water lilies and Indonesian pots.
A simple thatched restaurant constructed from local materials offer traditional Sri Lankan cuisine made with organically grown fruit and vegetables straight from their own gardens. Villagers are invited to conduct traditional Sri Lankan cookery lessons for guests.
Energy is provided by a combination of mains for lighting, solar energy for hot water and kerosene lamps. Visitors are given a choice of using the light of the electric bulb or a lantern.
Deliberately, there are no televisions or telephones - and your mobile will not work here either - encouraging you to settle into a relaxing, caring environment.
The management organizes kayaking, mountain biking (bikes available from the hotel free of charge), jungle trekking, bird watching with in-house naturalist, an overnight stay in a nearby tree house. Environmentalists and birders will also enjoy exploring Sri Lanka's most famous rainforest Sinharaja, a UNESCO-protected World Heritage Site and an international Biosphere Reserve located nearby..
UPS & DOWNS
• It is for the Eco fan and not for the traveler after a luxury room
• Good place to Explore the Sinharaja Rainforests
• Organic Food & strict environmentally-friendly policies
• Beautiful views over the jungle and next to a tea plantation.
• The staff is friendly and Helpful, but sometimes unlike a 5 star.
• The rooms are clean but simple. The food is very simple but abundant.
• The furnitures are a bit uncomfortable.
• If you are with a driver, please make sure he has guest house booked (this would cost about Rs, 2000)
• Meal Options are limited to Rice and Curry for Lunches and Dinners.
• Road to the hotel needs work.
• The Management seems to have not maintained the standard of this place, rather left it has it is, as a result it needs some refurshbishment.
• It is over-priced in our view, but options in this part of Sri Lanka for accommodation on mid range to luxury are very limited. We would think Boulder Garden is better than this as the price is more or less the same. Again, Boulder Garden is not in our view a very luxury property.
• The Swimming pool is not luxury five star hotel pool, it is a Natural pool an as it is in the nature & Jungle sometimes a frog can surprise you with visits.
Valid from 1st November 2012 to 30th April 2013
From 85 US$/night per Room.
Please enquire for specific rates and periods. All our rates include taxes, Service charges & Tourism taxes (if applicable). In the event it is not included, we will be stating it with our holiday quote.