KOGGALA LAKE| GALLE | SOUTH COAST| SRI LANKA
15 Minutes from Unawatuna Beach. 15 kms from Galle Fort. 3 hrs to International Airport (via Southern Highway).
Perched on a ridge overlooking Koggala Lake and surrounded by 12 acres of a working tea estate, Kahanda Kanda is a small, luxurious and totally indulgent retreat. From the moment you are welcomed with a refreshing fruit drink, a chilled hand towel and a broad smile, you feel any stress start to melt away. The amazing views are on display at every turn - behind the shimmering infinity pool, mirrored in the lily strewn ponds around the open-sided living and dining pavilions, or from your very private suite (there are only 7). Even the 80m saffron wall which juts across the property has windows judiciously cut out to frame glimpses of the estate, the verdant jungle and even the lake in the distance. The exotic-chic interiors combine polished concrete floors, a quirky mix of Asian antiques and contemporary Sri Lankan furnishings, which, together with the impeccably friendly service, make Kahanda Kanda a thoroughly sophisticated and romantic place that you'll find hard to leave.
• Luxury tranquil traveller
• Honeymoon escapes in Sri Lanka
• Luxury Inland Boutique Villa Experience
• Galle Fort, Cafés, Museum, Ramparts, History, Spas, Festivals & much more.
Three of the wonderfully spacious suites are located in individual pavilions characterized by polished cement floors and high exposed timber ceilings while two are situated in the tea estate’s original building. All of the rooms are air conditioned, magnificently decorated and profit from private gardens, superb views and luxurious bathrooms, some of which are open to the sky.
A stunning bedroom suite with everything you could possibly want. Featuring an ebony four-poster bed dressed with crisp sheets, antique furniture, cushioned lake- and jungle-view window seats and a private courtyard garden filled with aromatic gardenia bushes and frangipani trees Peacock is without doubt the Master Suite. The en-suite his and hers bathrooms are particularly memorable and feature showers open to the sky.
Airy, comfortable and uncluttered, Tamarind is a stylish mixture of old and new featuring antique blue and white Chinese ceramics alongside a modern wrought iron four-poster bed. The en-suite bathroom has twin vanities and a double shower whilst a bench and chairs on the spacious private verandah allow you to make the most of the views.
This elegant suite mixes contemporary Sri Lankan furniture with Oriental pieces, the highlight of which are the beautiful rice paper paintings that adorn the walls. The room features a carved wooden four-poster bed while the bathroom has twin vanities and double showers. Tea vistas predominate from the extra-wide verandah furnished with a deep antique Balinese bench.
This expansive suite is located inside the estate’s original building and features a large double bed, lots of antique furniture and plenty of sofas and chairs on the shaded verandah. The spacious shower room has twin vanities and an outdoor shower landscaped with ginger lilies and palms.
This twin room is located inside the original building and is ideal for children, whatever their age. It features two single four-poster beds, a wide verandah and a large bathroom with outdoor power shower.
FOOD & AMENITIES
At Kahanda Kanda (or KK, as it's become known), you can eat when and where you want: in your suite, on your private patio, by the pool or in the open-sided dining pavilion. You can even have a picnic somewhere in the beautiful tropical gardens if you wish.
The chefs will prepare lunch and dinner to suit your tastes and the food is fresh and healthy. Most of the fruits, vegetables and herbs are grown on the estate, while seafood and meat is bought daily at the local market. Dishes combine Sri Lankan, Western and Thai influences - perhaps chilled avocado soup and prawns with coconut rice, followed by a mouthwatering lime tart.
For breakfast, expect a large spread of local delicacies such as hoppers, together with fruit platters, eggs, freshly baked bread, organic jams, and tea and coffee.
• Visit the historic town of Galle (17km away and 45 minutes by tuk-tuk) and explore the narrow maze of streets within its Dutch fort. You will find a growing collection of art galleries, antique shops, cafes and restaurants
• The beaches of Unawatuna and Mirissa (both a 25-minute drive away) are great for swimming, surfing and snorkelling
• Take a boat ride on Koggala Lake, which is scattered with little islands, including Fish Eagle Island, where hundreds of eagles come to nest at dusk, and Cinnamon Island, where several families process cinnamon into essential oils
• Tour the nearby tea factory (staff can arrange this for you)
• Head to the Uda Walawe and Yala National Parks. It's a long drive but you will spot elephants, leopards and countless species of birds
• Try your hand at Sri Lankan cooking during the informal cookery classes run at the property
• Yoga and Pilates are offered once a week and Ayurvedic massages can be arranged
UPS & DOWNS
• The 20m infinity pool always looks cool and inviting
• Looking for sheer peace and harmony? Then this is the right choice
• Resident owner George Cooper knows how to make you feel at home
• Did we mentioned the breathtaking views?
• It is not easy to find, so make sure your driver has exact instructions (if you have not booked it part of a tour with us, as most of our driver/guides have been here)
• It is a (uneven) drive to get anywhere - the hotel can arrange a tuk-tuk to take you to Galle and its beaches, or a car and driver for places further – (again of you have booked with us in advance our drivers/Guides are very experienced with the geography).
Valid from 1st November 2012 to 30th April 2013
From 355 US$/night per Room.
Please enquire for specific rates and periods. All our rates include taxes, Service charges & Tourism taxes (if applicable). In the event it is not included, we will be stating it with our holiday quote.